Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who’ve intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) are generally utilized among MSM to satisfy sexual lovers 3,4. Increased usage of smart phones together with the typical usage of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to analyze the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young MSM that are black in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. Those who utilized apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) accompanied by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours regarding the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Also, over 25 % of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of the partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless lack and sex of understanding of partners’ HIV status warrant investigation of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize
Intimate risk among software MSM that is utilizing ended up being using a test of 174 app-using MSM in nyc. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets pertaining to app usage and investigated https://www.realmailorderbrides.com/mexican-brides the connection between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing sad, whenever alcohol that is using51.1%) so when making use of any drugs (25.9%). Participants had been more prone to practice both insertive and receptive condomless intercourse whenever apps had been getting used when utilizing any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Combating HIV through App Utilize
Apps have indicated their possible effectiveness among scientists and medical care providers trying to reduce steadily the threat of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV assessment. Willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention was greater the type of reporting current binge consuming and current club medication use 7.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to supply HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other health that is MSM substance usage, intimate partner physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based intimate wellness interventions targeting MSM should always be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social media marketing Utilize Will Continue To Boost in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five health that is different for homosexual and bisexual guys: Implications for brand new guidelines in health training and prevention. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with males: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. overview of risk behaviors for HIV illness by males that have intercourse with males through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal of this Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black men that have sex with males: A multi-city cross-sectional study in the southern usa. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, along with other men that have intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cellular phone apps for HIV prevention among men that have intercourse with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social networking Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org
This work had been sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through this new York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is definitely an interdisciplinary research center that focuses on general general public health conditions linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV Research NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor ny , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL